Satisfying soups, hearty puddings and mulled wine, it’s time to wave goodbye to those comfort recipes and spring into the new season with fresher, lighter and delicious recipes. Here are some of our favourites…
One-pan oven baked salmon with roasted potatoes and asparagus
• 400g new potatoes halved
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 2 salmon fillets
• Handful of basil leaves
1. Heat oven to 220C/fan 200/gas 7. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil into an ovenproof dish and toss in the potatoes. Roast these for 20mins until they start to brown. Add the asparagus in with the potatoes and continue roasting in the oven for 15mins.
2. Add the cherry tomatoes, vinegar and salmon into the dish, ensuring the salmon is nestled in amongst the vegetables. Drizzle the remaining olive oil and return to the oven for a final 10-15mins, until the salmon is cooked. Scatter the basil leaves and squeeze lemon juice (to taste) in the dish, serve straight from dish.
Butternut squash & spinach filo pie
• 1 butternut squash (roughly 1kg), peeled, deseeded and cut into cubes
• 2 red onions, cut into wedges
• 1 tsp chilli flakes
• 400g bag of spinach
• 100g feta cheese, crumbled
• 4 sheets of filo pastry
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• Serve with green salad (optional)
1. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Put the squash, onions and chilli flakes in an oven proof pie dish (or 4 small individual dishes). Season and cook for 20mins until the squash is tender and the onions begin to char at the edges.
2. While this is in the oven, put the spinach in a colander and pour over a kettleful of boiling water. Squeeze out any excess liquid and stir the spinach into the squash mix. Crumble over the feta and crumple up the filo pastry, placing it over the top of the dish. Brush the top with olive oil and return to the oven to cook for further 15mins until the pastry is golden and soft.
Serve with green salad (optional)
Strawberry Cheesecake Pots
• 75g light digestive biscuits
• 200g light condensed milk
• Zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 1tsp vanilla extract
• 150g extra light cream cheese
• 150g 0% fat Greek yogurt
• 250g fresh strawberries
• 2tbsp strawberry jam
1. Crumble 75g light digestive biscuits into a bowl. Divide these crumbs for 6 portions (wine classes or small tumblers)
2. Place 200g light condensed milk into a bowl and add the zest and juice of a lemon, add 1 tbsp. vanilla extract and stir till the mixture has thickened
3. Whisk 150g extra light cream cheese and 150g 0% fat Greek yogurt in a small bowl until smooth, then fold into the thickened condensed milk. (Remember not to over beat). Spoon this creamy mixture over the biscuits.
4. Chill for 30mins – 1 hour
5. Chop 250g fresh strawberries and mix with 3tbsp strawberry jam, top the cheesecake with fruit to serve.