For those of you still persevering with your healthy New Year resolutions, Pancake Day may feel like a day of temptation without the fun. Don’t worry! We have pulled together some fantastic recipes for pancakes that won’t blow your healthy diet, as well as some yummy intolerance friendly options:
The Gluten/Dairy Free Pancake
- 3 overly ripe bananas
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of gluten free flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Mash the bananas.
- Mix the mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla, coconut oil together.
- Sift in the gluten free flour and mix before adding the cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Pour pancake mixture into your frying pan and cook until golden brown, flipping over half way through.
- Serve hot, perhaps with sliced banana on top!
The Tasty Savoury Pancake
Don’t have much of a sweet tooth but want to join in the fun? Try these delightfully tasty savoury pancakes that are bursting with nutritional value!
- 125g buckwheat flour
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 1 chopped onion
- Coconut oil
- Mix the flour and egg in a bowl and then add the milk. Beat the mixture until you have a smooth texture. Set aside.
- Fry the mushrooms and onion in a pan with the coconut oil. Add spinach until it wilts.
- Pour your pancake mixture into a frying pan and cook for approx one minute before turning over. Once both sides are golden brown, add the mushroom and spinach mixture onto one side of the pancake and fold over, so that the filling is inside.
- Serve hot and with salad or more vegetables.
The Coconut Pancake
Coconut flour is a fantastic alternative to white flour, creating light and fluffy pancakes with a nice texture and taste. Coconut flour is high in protein, fiber and healthy fats, wheat free and low in sugar, providing the perfect healthy alternative.
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1/3 almond milk
- 1/8 baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Mix the eggs, almond milk and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
- Add the coconut flour, baking soda and nut butter.
- Heat a small amount of butter in the pan and add mixture in for each individual pancake. Ensure not to cook the bottom for two long before flipping.
- Serve with toppings of your choice – we recommend blueberries to add a sharp, tangy taste!
*please note stock imagery has been used.